It’s the first day of November! Already?! I know right? It seems like time is really flying by so fast and my to-do list are just adding up so quickly… hmmmm! I need to do something about it!
Sometimes, when life happens, you can’t really do anything about it! It is important though to take a break, relax a bit and check on the important things on your list. I have some things scheduled but something came up so these schedules were affected. I’m so glad though that I have a back up plan and this is what I am going to share today!
This is new but not really new, haha! Confusing? Well, let me tell you what I meant. This pattern that I am going to share with you today was first posted on Clover-USA, so if you’re one of their followers then you have probably seen it! This project was in collaboration with them. I feel so honored to be working with this company! I absolutely love their products and I’ve been using them since I found out about them. Been using the Crochet Amour Hooks and Takumi Interchangeable Knitting Needles and they’re my absolute favorites!
My friends at Clover-USA sent me some Bamboo Interchangeable Tunisian Crochet Hook to try and play with! I’m so thrilled to come up with a bag pattern using their Tunisian hook. This design uses some basic crochet and honeycomb Tunisian stitches.
So without further ado, let’s dive into the pattern!
HONEYCOMB TUNISIAN HANDBAG
You can find the pdf copy of this pattern on my Ravelry shop. If you have no time to crochet just yet, please don’t forget to add it to your favorites or queue projects. Note: Just because promo, enjoy 30% off from today till Sunday, November 3rd, no coupon code needed!
You can also pin it here!
- 6 Skeins of Lily Sugar ‘n Cream (Overcast) | 2.5 oz / 70.9 g / 120 yards / 109 m or any Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn
- Purse-n-alize-it Bamboo Handbag Handles Oval Shape | One Pair – 8.5 x 5.5 inches
- Amour Crochet Hook Size J | 6.00 mm (Art. No 1049/J)
- Bamboo Interchangeable Tunisian Crochet Hook Size K | 6.5 MM (Art. No 3697)
- Interchangeable Cord Stoppers (Art. No 3651)
- Interchangeable Cord | 16 inches (Art. No 3645)
- Pom-Pom Maker Large (Art. No 3129)
- Tapestry Needle (Art. No 3121)
- Tape Measure
- Scissors (Art. No 493/CW)
- 12 sts x 11 rows = 4 inches
- 14.5 (wide) x 13 (tall) inches, not including the handle
Stitches and Abbreviations | US Terminology
- Ch – Chain
- SC – Single Crochet
- Sl – Slip
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- Sk – Skip
- Rep – Repeat
- RSC – Reverse Single Crochet (also known as the Crab Stitch)
- YO – Yarn Over
- TSS – Tunisian Simple Stitch
- TPS – Tunisian Purl Stitch
- RetP – Return Pass – yarn over and pull through one loop on the hook (ch 1 made), *yarn over, pull through next two loops on hook. Rep from * until only one loop remains on hook.
- Read through the entire pattern before starting.
- This pattern uses 2 strands of yarn held together.
- It is constructed in 2 panels and seamed together to make the bag.
- Each “row” consists of both a forward and a return pass.
- Learn Tunisian Honeycomb Stitch here.
Take one of your bamboo handles, 2 strands of yarn (hold together), and your crochet hook. With your yarn, make a slip knot and insert your crochet hook into the loop. Now, take your bamboo handle and attach your yarn by slip stitching into the handle.
Row 1: Ch 1, SC 30 into the handle. Turn. (30)
Row 2: Ch 1, SC in the 1st st, 2 SC in the 2nd st. SC across up to 2 sts remaining, 2 SC in the next st and SC in the last st. Turn. (32)
Row 2 – 6: Repeat Row 2 (40)
Row 7: Ch 1, SC in each st across. Turn (40)
Now, change the crochet hook to the Tunisian hook.
Row 8 (Foundation): Skip 1st st, pull up a loop in the 2nd st and each st across (leave the loops on the hook), RetP.
Row 9: Sk 1st vertical bar, (TSS in next st, TPS in next st) to last st, insert hook in last st under two outer vertical bars, yo, pull a loop through. RetP.
Row 10: Sk 1st vertical bar, (TPS in next st, TSS in next st) to last st, insert hook in last st under two outer vertical bars, yo, pull a loop through. RetP.
Repeat Row 9 and 10 until your piece measures approximately 12 inches (from the 1st row). Continue with the last row, the Tunisian cast-off.
Tunisian Cast Off
Sk 1st vertical bar, [insert hook in the next vertical bar (as if working TSS), sl st] to the last st, insert hook in last st under two outer vertical bars, yo, pull a loop through. Fasten off and weave in end.
With wrong sides facing each other, take your crochet hook and attach yarn in (the right side of your piece) Row 7. Ch 1, SC evenly to corner, 3 SC in the corner, SC evenly to the next corner, 3 SC in the corner, and continue SC evenly up to the 7th row from the top.
Adding the Border
Ch 1, RSC evenly across. Fasten off and weave in all ends.
Make two pompoms with your pompom maker. Set aside for later use.
With 2 strands held together, ch 50. Fasten off. Take your strings/chains and insert it in the center two sts on the front panel of your bag, tie it off and make a bow. Attach the pompoms at the beginning and end of your string.
You’re done! Enjoy your new handbag!
All images and patterns are copyright of STRINGS AND CUDDLES. You may sell any items that you make from this pattern. You may NOT use my images. Please DO NOT copy, redistribute or claim as your own. If selling items from this pattern, please give credit to STRINGS AND CUDDLES by linking to my shops or on social media @stringsandcuddles.
I would love to see what you create, please use these hashtags #stringsandcuddles, #stringsandcuddlesdesigns, #honeycombtunisianhandbag to share.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out for questions regarding this pattern.
3 thoughts on “HONEYCOMB TUNISIAN HANDBAG”
Found you through a Blog Hop. Lovely Tunisian Bag.