Beanie season has arrived! I can finally wear some of my favorite beanies! Also, it’s time again to make new ones!
Speaking of new beanies, I have designed a new pattern which I call The Halcyon Beanie. As the name implies and like what my tester said, the repetitive texture of this beanie is very calming!
The Halcyon Beanie pattern is so fun to make. It is absolutely an easy project. It features single crochet, half double crochet slip stitch, and also in the back loop only stitches.
The pattern calls for a worsted weight (#4) yarn. For my beanie, I used the Yarn Bee Soft and Sleek Low-Pill Fiber from Hobby Lobby. I love the feel of this yarn and how easy it is to work with. The one I made for my daughter was from Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice. If I had to choose between the 2 yarns, I would definitely go for the Yarn Bee Soft and Sleek. Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice splits and it slowed me down while working on my girl’s beanie.
Anyways, without any more delay, let’s get started with our new pattern!
THE HALCYON BEANIE
This pattern is FREE but you can also purchase the inexpensive PDF file on my Ravelry shop for easy printing and reading. Purchasing the PDF file helps to support my blog and allows me to continue to share my patterns with you.
FAVORITE OR BUY IT ON RAVELRY
PIN IT FOR LATER USE
SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginner
- Worsted Weight (#4) Yarn
- Crochet Hook Size I | 5.5 mm (or size to obtain gauge)
- Tape Measure
- Tapestry Needle
- 3 Stitch Markers
GAUGE: 14 sts x 17 rows = 4 inches (see pattern gauge)
- Row 1: Ch 15, SC in the back bump of 2nd ch from the hook and in each ch across. Turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, Hslst in each st across. Turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, SC in each st across. Turn.
- Row 4 – 17: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
- Toddler: Length – 7” | Hat Circumference – 18”
- Child: Length – 8” | Hat Circumference – 19”
- Teen/Adult: Length – 9” | Hat Circumference – 20”
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS | US Terminology
- Ch(s) – Chain(s)
- BLO – Back Loop Only
- Rep – Repeat
- RS – Right Side
- PM – Place Marker
- Sl St(s) – Slip Stitch(es)
- SC – Single Crochet
- SC2Tog – Single Crochet 2 Together (decrease)
- WS – Wrong Side
- HSlst – Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch – Yarn over, insert your hook into the next st, yarn over and pull through the stitch and the 2 loops on your hook.
- Read the pattern carefully before starting.
- sideways and then seamed together at the end.
- Pattern is written as follows: 1-3 Y/O Toddler (3-10 Y/O Child, Teen/Adult)
- The beginning ch 1 does NOT count as a stitch.
- Numbers in ( ) at end of round indicate the number of stitches in that row.
- I recommend using stitch markers to mark the beginning/end of the body and brim of the beanie. Remember to move stitch markers as you progress.
- You may notice that your piece is slanting, do not worry as this is the result of the stitches.
- If you’re not familiar with the Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch (Hslst) stitch, watch this video.
Ch 31 (33, 36)
Row 1 (RS): Sl st in the back bump of the 2nd ch from the hook, PM, SC in the back bump until 5 chs remaining, PM in the last SC just made, SC in the BLO in the last 5 chs. Turn. (30, 32, 35)
Note: PM in the 1st st and do not take it off.
Row 2 (WS): Ch 1, sl st in the BLO in the 1st 5 sts, Hslst until 1 st remaining, st, sl st in the last st. Turn. (30, 32, 35)
Row 3 (RS): Ch 1, sl st in the 1st st, SC until 5 sts remaining, SC in the BLO in the last 5 sts. Turn. (30, 32, 35)
For Toddler Size
Row 4 – 76: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
For Child Size
Row 4 – 80: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
For Teen/ Adult Size
Row 4 – 84: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
Once you finished the last row, PM in the last st and do not cut yarn. We will be working on the top of the beanie.
With WS still facing you, ch 1, SC2tog along the edge of the beanie (refer to the photos below).
Leaving a long tail (approximately 24”) and with your tapestry needle, thread through the sts to close the top. Thread through around the sts for the second time. Pull tight to cinch closed (refer to the photos below). Do not cut yarn.
Now, bring the 1st and last rows together and seam to close using mattress stitch (refer to the photos below).
Weave in all ends.
Add a pompom of your choice, and it’s done!
I hope that you like this pattern and if ever you have a question, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
All images and patterns are the copyrighted property of STRINGS AND CUDDLES. You may sell any items that you make from this pattern. You may NOT use my images. Please DO NOT copy, redistribute or claim as your own. If selling items from this pattern, please give credit to STRINGS AND CUDDLES by linking to my shops or on social media @stringsandcuddles.
I would love to see what you create! Please use these hashtags to share: #stringsandcuddles, #stringsandcuddlesdesigns, #thehalcyonbeanie
Please don’t hesitate to reach out for questions regarding this pattern.
Connect with me Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | Blog | Ravelry
5 thoughts on “THE HALCYON BEANIE”
That yellow looks great on you. You are so generous with your patterns.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! Like what they say, sharing is caring!
LikeLiked by 2 people