Last week’s pattern, The Halcyon Beanie, was the inspiration of today’s post! After finishing the beanie, I thought that a matching cowl will be great! I immediately grabbed my yarn and whipped up the cowl pattern. I showed it to my testers and some of them agreed to test it too!
I just loved the simplicity of this pattern and how fairly quickly it works up. And because of that, I decided to make The Halcyon Pattern Collection. This means that another pattern will be shared using the same pattern stitch soon! Woo hoo!!!
I used Yarn Bee Soft and Sleek yarn for this cowl pattern. It is the same as the one I used for the beanie. Any worsted weight (#4) yarn will work for this pattern. The beanie has 3 sizes, but for the cowl, I only made 2 sizes.
On October 28, 2020, THE HALCYON COWL pattern is featured on the Christmas Blog Hop over at Fosbas Designs. You can snag the PDF pattern as a free download for 24 hours only! Click the image button below to head to Fosbas Designs blog to get the coupon code and head back here and use the second button down below to head to Ravelry for the PDF download!
So without any delay, let’s go straight to the pattern!
THE HALCYON COWL
This pattern is FREE but you can also purchase the inexpensive PDF file on my Ravelry shop for easy printing and reading. Purchasing the PDF file helps to support my blog and allows me to continue to share my patterns with you.
SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginner
- Worsted Weight (#4) Yarn | 230 – 265 yards
- Crochet Hook Size I | 5.5 mm (or size to obtain gauge)
- Tape Measure
- Tapestry Needle
- 2 Stitch Markers
GAUGE: 14 sts x 17 rows = 4 inches (see pattern gauge)
- Row 1: Ch 15, SC in the back bump of 2nd ch from the hook and in each ch across. Turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, Hslst in each st across. Turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, SC in each st across. Turn.
- Row 4 – 17: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
- Child: Length – 10” | Circumference – 22”
- Teen/Adult: Length – 12” | Circumference – 25”
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS | US Terminology
- Ch(s) – Chain(s)
- BLO – Back Loop Only
- Rep – Repeat
- PM – Place Marker
- Sl St(s) – Slip Stitch(es)
- SC – Single Crochet
- SC2Tog – Single Crochet 2 Together (decrease)
- HSlst – Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch – Yarn over, insert your hook into the next st, yarn over and pull through the stitch and the 2 loops on your hook.
- Read the pattern carefully before starting.
- The pattern is worked flat, sideways and is seamed together at the end.
- The pattern is written as follows: Child (Teen/Adult)
- The beginning ch 1 does NOT count as a stitch.
- Numbers in ( ) at end of row indicate the number of stitches in that row.
- I recommend using stitch markers to mark the beginning/end of the body and ribbing section of the cowl. Remember to move stitch markers as you progress.
- You may notice that your piece is slanting, do not worry as this is the result of the stitches being used.
- If you’re not familiar with the Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch (Hslst) stitch, watch this video.
Ch 39 (46)
Row 1 (RS): SC in the back bump of the 2nd ch from the hook and in the next 4 chs, PM in the last SC just made, SC in the back bump until 5 chs remaining, PM in the last SC just made, SC in the back bump of the last 5 chs. Turn. (38,45)
Row 2 (WS): Ch 1, sl st in the BLO of the 1st 5 sts, Hslst until 5 sts remaining, st, sl st in the BLO of the last 5 sts. Turn. (38, 45)
Row 3 (RS): Ch 1, SC in the BLO of the 1st 5 sts, SC until 5 sts remaining, SC in the BLO on the last 5 sts. Turn. (38, 45)
For Child Size
Row 4 – 90: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
For Teen/Adult Size
Row 4 – 106: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
Once you finished the last row, fasten off, leaving a long tail (approximately 24”) for seaming. Now, bring the 1st and last rows together, and with the tapestry needle, seam to close using mattress stitch (refer to the photo below).
Weave in all ends, and it’s done!
Huge thank you to my testers for helping me with this pattern. Here are their versions.
Now, let’s take a look at how beautiful The Halcyon Beanie and Cowl set is!
As part of the good news I mentioned above, click the image below for the PDF download.
Now, I’d love to see yours! Please tag me @stringsandcuddles on Instagram so I can see and share your project.
All images and patterns are the copyrighted property of STRINGS AND CUDDLES. You may sell any items that you make from this pattern. You may NOT use my images. Please DO NOT copy, redistribute or claim as your own. If selling items from this pattern, please give credit to STRINGS AND CUDDLES by linking to my shops or on social media @stringsandcuddles.
I would love to see what you create! Please use these hashtags to share: #stringsandcuddles, #stringsandcuddlesdesigns, #thehalcyoncowl
Please don’t hesitate to reach out for questions regarding this pattern.